Purpose of committee
AIMS OF THE
agree approaches to identifying and meeting learning and
development needs to ensure that they are meeting individual and
collect views from fellow councillors on learning and development
issues and to feedback on the achievement of the member development
strategy to their groups.
be aware of what learning and development is planned, based on
meeting individual and organisational needs, and the impacts and
benefits of learning and development activities.
support and influence the achievement of the standards required for
accreditation under the SW charter for Member
the support of officers, the Member Development Steering group will
ensure that a range of development opportunities are provided
- Ensure that individual learning needs are met
- Enable members to deliver the council’s statutory and
corporate obligations, objectives and priorities
- Fulfil the requirements of a modern council
owned and valued by members of the council
- Meet with equal opportunities policies.
evaluated to ensure that value is being added
RESPONSIBILITIES OF GROUP MEMBERS
- Promote learning and development within their groups
- Provide feedback on any training and development needs or
concerns from their group or other Councillors
- Advise on any targeting of resources and priorities
- Monitor strategy and policies for appropriateness, relevance and
- Recommend ways of enhancing councillors’ skills, knowledge
and attributes in order to fulfil their roles and responsibilities
with the council and wider communities
- Evaluate development initiatives to ensure that they meet
objectives and support the achievement of priorities under the
- Monitor effective use and allocation of budget
support the achievement of the action plan and the meeting of
criteria set out in the SW charter for Member
representative from each of the political groups to achieve
political balance and geographical representation.
- Member Development Officer
- Member Support Officer
to 4 meetings a year will be held at County Hall.
Support officer: Victoria Church 01392 383691. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org