{meta} Agenda for Devon Education Forum on Wednesday, 20th June, 2018, 10.00 am

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Suite - County Hall

Contact: Fiona Rutley 01392 382305  Email: fiona.rutley@devon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

75.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 105 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 21 March 2018 attached.

Minutes:

DECISION:

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 21 March 2018 be signed as a correct record, subject to Mr Blythe’s attendance at the meeting being amended to show him representing “16-19.”

76.

Matters Arising from the Last Meeting and Report back on Issues Raised with Cabinet

To consider any matters arising from the last meeting where no otherwise covered on this agenda and to report on items considered at the Cabinet.

Minutes:

DISCUSSION:

 

The Chair congratulated Councillor James McInnes on becoming Deputy Leader of the County Council, whilst retaining his position as Cabinet Member - Children, Schools & Skills.

 

77.

Membership

Minutes:

DISCUSSION:

 

The following membership changes were noted:-

 

Mr Malcolm Walsh – new substitute member (16-19)

 

Mr Paul Cornish     – resignation (secondary academy).

 

78.

Head of Education & Learning Update

Head of Education & Learning to report.

Minutes:

DISCUSSION:

 

Mr Blythe (16-19) declared an interest in relation to (a) the Apprenticehsip Levy, by virtue of PETROC College tendering for apprenticeship work at DCC.

 

The Head of Education & Learning reported on:-

 

(a) Apprenticeship Levy – developments and progress to date discussed as presented by DCC Human Resources.  A key facts paper was being prepared to go out to all schools. Members who had appointed apprentices via the scheme offered to input into the key facts paper, together with the Devon FE colleges group.

 

Members suggested small schools might consider sharing apprentices to offer broader training and to share costs and also discussed other training needs within schools that might be linked to apprenticeships;

 

(b) Safeguarding Referrals to Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) – to be included in new HT induction. It was agreed to put forward a recommendation to DAPH/DASH/Sentient that the LADO could attend the autumn briefings to provide a a brief refresher for existing HTs, to ensure a consistent approach;

 

(c) Early Help 4 Mental Health - funding secured until March 2019, with an aim to longer term funding and commitment to the longer term process in a draft Children’s Scrutiny Report with proposals to finalise the report in the autumn;

 

(d) New Free Schools Opening/Planned and proposed dates:-

 

Proposed DCC and Section 106 funding – Trinity CE Primary VA maintained (Open), Sherford and Okehampton new primaries (September 2018);

 

DfE schemes - Kingsteignton and West Clys (temporary but permanent by September 2019);

 

5 further approved bids – W Barnstaple Primary (September 2019), W Bideford Primary (September 2020), Monkerton Primary (September 2020), Glendinning Special School Newton Abbot 2019/2020, SW Exeter All Through (September 2021);

 

(e) Babcock LDP Regional Leadership Team – staffing changes circulated. Most positions had now been backfilled;

 

(f) Alternative Provision – progress was being made as this had now been re-brokered with a new sponsor chosen by the Headteachers Board. Due diligence currently taking place work on the commisioning will follow with the new sponsor;

 

(g) Recruitment and Retention – working with Devon, Plymouth Torbay and Cornwall. 

 

DECISION:

 

that DAPH/DASH/Sentient be recommended that the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO)  attend the autumn briefings to provide a a brief refresher for existing HTs, to ensure a consistent approach.

 

ACTION:

 

(a) Head of Education & Learning: Apprenticeship levy key facts paper 

 

(b) DAPH/DASH/Sentient - Safeguarding Referrals, LADO attendance at autumn briefings

 

 

 

79.

Finance Update pdf icon PDF 89 KB

Report of the Chief Officer for Children’s Services and County Treasurer (DEF/18/05) attached.

Minutes:

DISCUSSION:

 

The Forum considered the report of the Chief Officer for Children’s Services and County Treasurer (DEF/18/05) and noted the respective Schools Finance Group minutes of 5 June 2018 (minute 83 below).

 

The report covered:-

Dedicated Schools Grant Draft Outturn position

Allocation of Carry Forwards from 2017/18 (previously approved in principle)

Mutual Fund Update

 

In respect of Tresillian Nursery (report Table 5 Carry Forwards) members queried why this was a special case for an individual setting when their deficit had also increased from the previous year.  The County Treasurer advised this was historical and in approving the carry forward this stayed in Tresillian’s own budget, but if it was not approved it would come out of the Early Years block.  Tresillian’s position could be looked at in greater detail next year if required.

 

Members comments further included:-

 

Changes to the growth fund proposals (paragraph 1.3 of the report) to be communicated to schools once the latest funding position was known in July 2018;

 

DAPH suggested the Schools Finance Group may wish to consider whether there should be any “Plan B” should there be a deficit (High Needs Block);

 

SEN mainstream (paragraph 1.4.4 of the report) bespoke to individual needs (not capped), but applied consistently;

 

Recognition that FE budgets were different from pre-16 settings and this should be reflected in how FE High Needs providers were funded;

 

Managing increased Independent Special Schools placements (paragraph 1.4.5 of the report) and some delay in additional settings eg Glendinning and Tiverton Charlton Lodge. 

 

DECISION:

 

(a) that the Dedicated Schools Grant Draft Outturn position (subject to Statement of Accounts sign off) as set out in Section 1 of report (DEF/18/05) be noted;

 

(b) that the allocation of the Carry Forwards from 2017/18 as set out in Section 2 and Table 5 of report (DEF/18/05) be noted/approved respectively;

 

Carry Forward from 2017/18

 

 

Budget Line

Amount

£’000

 

Notes

 

Decision

Mainstream School balances

15,927

Automatically carried forward in Individual School budgets

2.2 noted

Total School balances

15,927

 

 

Maternity

419

Balance to fund ongoing cover in 2018/19

2.3 noted

Schools and DSG Contingency

1,852

Roll forward 2017/18 underspend into 2018/19

2.3 noted

Phase Associations

82

DAPH (£82k) reinstated. C/fwd taken as part of 2016/17 funding of HNB

 

DASH (£43k) taken as part of 2016/17 funding of HNB offset by £43k overspend in 2017/18.

2.3 noted

Total de-delegated budgets & Central Provisions

2,353

 

 

Special School Balances

2,219

Automatically carried forward in Individual School budgets

2.4 noted

Hospital Education

83

Specialised training for hospital staff and additional support in North Devon

2.5 noted

Mainstream SEN

16

Post 16 SEN – ESFA Funding that relates to summer term

2.6 noted

High Needs

(1,637)

Deficit Balance – agreed to be carried forward by DEF

2.7 noted

Total High Needs

681

 

 

Early Years Pupil Premium

188

2017/18 Ring fenced grant – DfE have confirmed can be spent in 2018/19

2.8 approved*

Early Years Growth Fund

184

Slippage on Trinity start-up costs, funds are committed for 2018/19

2.9 approved*

Tresillian Nursery

(53)

Nursery deficit balance to  ...  view the full minutes text for item 79.

80.

Dedicated Schools Grant 2018/19 Month 1 (High Needs) Update pdf icon PDF 122 KB

Report of the Chief Officer for Children’s Services and County Treasurer (DEF/18/06) attached.

 

Minutes:

DISCUSSION:

 

The Forum considered the report of the Chief Officer for Children’s Services and County Treasurer (DEF/18/06), giving an early indication of the budget pressure to be resolved, including the deficit carry forward of £1.6m from 2017/18 and management actions.

 

 Discussion included:-

 

-Whilst this was currently only the Month 1 position and there was additional pressure for Alternative Provision placements and Independent Special Schools placements as mainstream primary and secondary schools found it more difficult to retain the increasing numbers or children with complex needs in a mainstream setting. These high needs areas were historically difficult to control, although other areas had been making savings. Consideration of a possible “Plan B” in case management actions and other factors were unable to sufficiently constrain expenditure whilst maintaining appropriate provision for individual children within the SEND Code was suggested by DAPH. The Head of Education & Learning commented that in view of the delay in some savings taking effect she recommended sustained management action as the way forward.    

 

-In Devon much work was being carried out around Alternative Provision and the Devon Inclusion Project, including reducing the length of time children attended these settings, prevention, toolkits, reintegration, specific provision for children with medical needs.   

 

-The number and complexity of cases was recognised nationally and the f40 local authorities campaign group was highlighted this to government and had recently produced a

School Funding Briefing Paper – May 2018 http://www.f40.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/f40-NFF-Briefing-Paper-6-June-2018-final.pdf

 

The Cabinet Member - Schools & Skills was meeting education ministers 25 June 2018 when these issues would be raised. 

 

The County Treasurer also reported on his meeting on 18 June 2018 with the DfE regarding national funding formula proposals for 2019/20.   

 

DECISION:

 

(a) that a report on the Devon Inclusion Project’s work be made to the next meeting;

 

(b) that f40 developments be noted with great interest.

 

ACTION:

 

(a) above, County Solicitor (Fiona Rutley – next agenda)

 

 

 

81.

Financial Intervention Panel Schools (FIPS) Annual Report 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 135 KB

Report of the Chief Officer for Children’s Services and County Treasurer (DEF/18/07) attached.

Minutes:

DISCUSSION:

 

The Forum considered the report of the Chief Officer for Children’s Services and County Treasurer (DEF/18/07)

 

The report covered governing body responsibilities, FIPS’ purpose, analysis and outcomes of cases.  The Panel continued to support schools in financial difficulty when governing bodies had taken every action they could.   In continued times of school funding uncertainty and challenging budgets, FIPS continued to be pro-active in identifying and engaging with schools with vulnerable budgets at an early stage.  

 

DECISION:

 

that FIPS’ pro-active, robust approach and good outcomes during this current period of uncertainty of school budgets be welcomed.

82.

DEF Proportionality and Elections 2018

To note that based on pupil census data 2018 (predicted to September 2018), no change in the proportionality of seats on the Devon Education Forum has been made wef September 2018, as previously advised.

 

Elections of Schools and Academies Members (and some other appointments) are currently in progress for the 4 year period 1 September 2018 -  31 August 2022, with elections planned prior to the end of the summer term 2018.  Details are available via fiona.rutley@devon.gov.uk  (DEF contact), or the phase associations.

Minutes:

Following consultation with Forum members  no change in the proportionality of seats on the Devon Education Forum had been made wef September 2018, based on pupil census data 2018 (predicted to September 2018).

 

Elections of Schools and Academies Members (and some other appointments) were currently in progress for the 4 year period 1 September 2018 -  31 August 2022, with elections planned prior to the end of the summer term 2018.  Details available via fiona.rutley@devon.gov.uk   (DEF contact), or the phase associations.

83.

Standing (and other) Groups pdf icon PDF 127 KB

To review action for the Forum from its groups and to receive minutes:-

 

(a) Schools’ Finance Group

 

Minutes of the meeting held on 23 May 2018, attached.

 

Also available at 

https://new.devon.gov.uk/educationandfamilies/school-information/devon-education-forum/schools-finance-group

 

(b) School Organisation, Capital and Admissions Forum

 

Minutes of the meeting held on 5 June 2018, attached.

 

Also available at

https://new.devon.gov.uk/educationandfamilies/school-information/devon-education-forum/school-organisation-capital-and-admissions-group-soca

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Forum received the following minutes of its standing groups:-

 

(a) Schools’ Finance Group (SFG)

 

Minutes of the meeting held on 23 May 2018  (also considered under Finance Update minute 79 above)

 

(b) School Organisation, Capital and Admissions (SOCA)

 

Minutes of the meeting held on 5 June 2018.  

 

DECISION:

 

In accordance with the NPS Update (SOCA note 5) where contractors’ reasonable access was denied by schools during the school day when DBS paperwork was in place, the associations reiterate the message that:-  schools would be expected to pay the extra contractor charge. 

 

ACTION:             

 

Phase Associations

84.

Dates of Future Meetings

Minutes:

At 10am at County Hall, Exeter-:

 

Wed 17 October 2018

Wed 23 January 2019

Wed 20 March 2019.