Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Suite - County Hall

Contact: Yvette Welsh  Email: yvette.welsh@devon.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

40.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 202 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 17 February 2022

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting held on 17 February 2022 were signed as a correct record subject to a spelling error at minute 29 Jo Matthews to read Joe Matthews.

41.

Items Requiring Urgent Attention

Items which in the opinion of the Chair should be considered at the meeting as matters of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no items requiring urgent attention.

42.

Items Requiring Urgent Attention

Ed Pawson to report

Minutes:

Ed Pawson welcomed Councillor Ron Peart as a Member of the group and reported that Councillor Peart had replaced Councillor Sarah Parker-Khan.

43.

Transition Arrangements of SACRE from Babcock

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

Sarah Chapman, Babcocks/LDP, explained that all traded services currently delivered by babcock LDP would transfer to Devon County Council on 1 August 2022 and be delivered through Education and Learner Services.  Ed Pawson would continue in his advisory role and the delivery of services would not be affected by the change.

 

 

44.

Monitoring: Multi-Academy Trust Complaint; Ofsted Reports pdf icon PDF 380 KB

Minutes:

Ed Pawson reported that following the submission of  a complaint to the Department for Education (DfE) about taking RE to a low level by some Devon schools.  2 questions had been raised about due process:

1)    To what extent should members of SACRE be consulted

2)    What is the evidence base for the decision

Significant concerns about the planned RE curriculum changes in a number schools in Devon and Plymouth had been reported to the February meeting of Devon SACRE and attempts to engage positively with the academy did not result in any progress and no invitation to pursue any form of internal trust complaints procedure

 

The complaint continues to be ongoing with the DfE.

 

45.

A Deep Dive Into RE at Sidmouth College

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

Mary  Hext, representing Sidmouth College reported about the experience of an ‘Ofsted Deep Dive’ into Religious Education at the college.

 

The process involved two Inspectors over  a two day visit meeting with the Head of Department and  students, in observation of  lessons and work books.  The presentation given to SACRE to be circulated with the minutes.  The conclusion inspectors wrote was that ‘Leaders have high expectation of pupils and behaviour in lessons is good’.  The group congratulated Mary on the result.

46.

Devon SACRE: Constitution Review

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

As set out in the reviewed constitution Devon SACRE would bring in a pattern of membership of four year terms, followed by an option of a further four years with effect from 2024.  Those SACRE Members present since before 2016 would therefore be at the  end of their term, although it was noted that this transition would be phased, so that the experience of some SACRE members remain.

 

These changes would be carried out in consultation between the individual members and the SACRE Chair and SACRE members could apply to re-join if their skills were of particular value to the body if they had not been members for a year.

 

 

 

 

47.

Devon SACRE Logo

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

A new logo had been agreed and thanks were given to St Peters School, Exeter for the new design.

48.

Devon SACRE: Annual Report 2021/2

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

The SACRE annual report would be published in the autumn, as soon as GCSE results had been published and exam data analysed.

 

49.

Devon SACRE: Agreed Syllabus Review

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

Discussions regarding the agreed  syllabus had taken  place across Devon, Torbay, Plymouth and Cornwall SACREs.  Focus groups would bring together analysis of the current syllabus followed by a teacher survey.

 

It was noted that members considered that the syllabus worked well but worldviews could be an added.  A relaunch would be carried out in 2024. 

 

50.

Learn Teach Lead RE: Update

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

Ed Pawson promoted the October 2022 Learn Teach Lead conference.  The conference is expected to explore why a connected curriculum in RE is important  and delegates would share learning structures to build pupil knowledge and development a better understanding.  

51.

National Developments: Draft Handbook on Religion and Worldviews

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

Ed Pawson reported that a draft handbook had been developed for syllabus writers and curriculum developers to support them in the translation of  the REC’s vision of an excellent education for all in Religion and Worldviews.

 

Three school-based teams had been appointed to ‘road test’ the first draft of the handbook.  During the next academic year, syllabus/curriculum framework and units of work will be developed, to be published in the Spring of 2024

 

52.

Holocaust Memorial Day: Planning

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

It was noted that planning had begun to put HMD activities in place for January 2023. The title for the year would be ‘Ordinary People’

 

53.

Diversity Training

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

Item to be brought back to the group when further information is available.

54.

SW SACRE Conference Feedback

Ed Pawson to report.

Minutes:

The  SW SACRE conference was held on online on the 28 February and the speaker, Stephen Pett spoke on the developments of the Handbook on Religions and Worldviews and to work towards a high quality education in the subject.

 

55.

Future SACRE Meetings

Dates for future meetings:

 

November 2022

February 2023

June 2023

Minutes:

The next meetings will be held on Monday 7 November 2022 and Thursday 9 February 2023 commencing at 10.00am.

 

A training session to be scheduled for the afternoon of the 7 November 2022.