Agenda and minutes

Venue: Market Hall, Market Arcade, The Square, Holsworthy, EX22 6DL

Contact: Gerry Rufolo. 01392 382299  Email:

Note No. Item



Election of Chair and Vice Chair

(NB: In accordance with the Council’s Constitution the Chair and Vice-Chair of this Committee must be a County Councillor.  County Councillors only may vote).


RESOLVED that Councillors Saywell and Hellyer be elected Chair and Vice Chair respectively for the ensuing year.



Minutes pdf icon PDF 78 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 27 April 2018, attached 


RESOLVED that Minutes of the meeting held on 27 April 2018 be signed as a correct record.



Items Requiring Urgent Attention

Items which in the opinion of the Chairman should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency


There was no item raised as a matter of urgency.



North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty: Management Plan Review: Consultation Draft pdf icon PDF 83 KB

Report of the Head of Planning, Transportation and Environment (PTE/18/33) attached


The Committee considered the Report of the Head of Planning, Transportation and Environment (PTE/18/33) on the process of the Review of the Management Plans for the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) covering the content of the Plan, the process and timetable in Devon.


Devon had five Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONBs) within its boundaries.  Three, North Devon, East Devon and South Devon, were wholly within the county, while two, Blackdown Hills and Tamar Valley, straddled the county boundary with Somerset and Cornwall respectively.


Under the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW) Act, it was a statutory requirement for local authorities to produce Management Plans for their AONBs and undertake a review every five years.  The County Council and other relevant local authorities had delegated the task of undertaking the Management Plan Review to the respective AONB Partnerships and had set out its requirements for this process. 


It was MOVED by Councillor Saywell, SECONDED by Councillor Hellyer, and




(a) that the process and timetable for undertaking the AONB Management Plan review and consultation be noted;


(b) that the approach to the preparation of and consultation on the Consultation Draft of the Management Plan 2019-2024 for the North Devon AONB be endorsed;


(c) that the final agreement of the detailed content and any outstanding issues for the Consultation Draft be delegated to the Head of Planning, Transportation and Environment;


(d) that the final version of the new Management Plans be adopted through the Cabinet Member decision process in early 2019.




Crowdfund Devon Launch 12th July 2108

Locality Officer to report


The Committee received a presentation from the Head of Communities on this pilot initiative by Devon County Council with West Devon Borough, Exeter City, Teignbridge District and East Devon District Councils and the Devon and Cornwall Police designed to amplify Members’ locality budgets and other funding streams. Other District Councils (including Torridge District were expressing interest and may well join as partners on the platform.


The Officers outlined the pre-application process including a requirement for 25%+ of any proposed project’s funding target being achieved and that projects would only receive pledges when the funding target was reached i.e. ‘all or nothing’.  An information pack had been sent to all County Council Members to help them when receiving requests to fund projects from their Locality Budget.


The details of the Scheme were available at:


and the application page was available at:


An evaluation of the pilot would be made and progress would be reported to this Committee at its February 2019 meeting. 



Local Member Updates

An opportunity for Members to update the Committee on community initiatives and

responses to service changes in their own division.


(a) Health and other Matters


Councillor Parsons reported on the proposed closure of local GP surgeries in Shebbear and Hatherleigh by NHS England and the impact on local communities; and that with the assistance of the NEW Devon CCG the Holsworthy Community Hospital was working towards the reinstatement of inpatient beds.


He also referred to the Bideford Pride event on 1 September 2018. 


(b) Bideford


Councillor Hellyer reported on the development of an art centre at the Library managed by Libraries Unlimited, the Bideford Town Partnership and work on ‘Bideford in Bloom’, ideas for a ‘Road Train’ project; and work towards ‘Coach friendly’ status. 


(c) Mental Health and Wellbeing


The Chair referred to a Northern Devon Network event on 12 October at Umberleigh relating to rural isolation and dementia, mental wellbeing and suicide prevention including a presentation by Penny Dobbin.


A report on the event should be made to the next meeting of the Locality Committee.



Council/Cabinet Forward Plan and Scrutiny Work Programme

The Council/Cabinet Forward Plan and the Scrutiny Work Programme are available for

inspection by using the links below, if the Committee may wish to provide

evidence to specific Task Groups or otherwise comment upon specific areas of activity to

the appropriate Scrutiny Committee or the Cabinet.



The Committee noted that Council/Cabinet Forward Plan and the Scrutiny Work Programme was available at:




Dates of Meetings

16 October 2018 and 26 February 2019

Please use link below for County Council Calendar of Meetings:



Tuesday, 16 October 2018 (at Langtree Parish Hall, details to be confirmed), and Tuesday, 26 February 2019


[link for the County Council Calendar of Meetings:]